UK supermarkets produce a whopping 800,000 tonnes of plastic packaging a year – but shoppers aren’t going to take it anymore!
Join the Shoppers Revolt on Saturday 15th September and tell supermarkets to ditch pointless plastic packaging!
Here’s what you can do:
1. Do your weekly shop with Greenpeace.
Come along to one of our events at over 40 supermarket locations around the UK.
2. Join in with the great packaging take back.
If there isn’t an event near you, you can still take part by returning your unwanted plastic packaging to your local big brand supermarket on Saturday 15th September!
3. Join in on social media.
If you can’t make it to your local supermarket, or prefer to take action in a different way, there’s another vital role you can play! On Saturday 15th September join in online by posting pictures of supermarkets' excessive plastic packaging on their Facebook pages or Twitter feeds. Use the hashtag #ShoppersRevolt and don’t forget to tag the supermarket.
- Next time you’re unpacking your weekly shop keep the excessive plastic packaging! You may want to take back one piece of particularly annoying packaging or a whole week’s worth. Stick to packaging that came with fruit, veg and other dry goods and make sure all packaging is clean and dry (no meat, fish or liquids!)
- On Saturday 15th September, take your plastic back to the supermarket where you bought it. Please only take it to customer services (as this is where your complaint is most likely to be listened to!) or if there is no customer services in your local store, ask to speak to a manager.
- Politely explain that you’re handing your excess plastic packaging back because you think supermarkets have a responsibility to deal with the waste they’re producing.
REMEMBER: decisions about packaging are made by supermarket CEOs, not the people who work in the stores, so don't get angry or frustrated with the person you're talking to. They're just doing their job. If they don’t want to take your plastic back, ask if they’ll take the note instead. Don’t forget to thank them for their time!
** Please don’t take anything back that will create a mess and try not to disrupt/get in the way of other shoppers – they probably hate plastic packaging too! **